Problem Gambling Protection (USA)
Problematic gambling stems from the need to feel some sort of excitement. Those who struggle with this type of addiction feel the need to gamble even after losing money. The mere thought of stopping the activity gives them a sense of irritability. And in some extreme scenarios, gambling addicts feel the need to engage in the activity when under stress.
Luckily, there are numerous websites, services, and hotlines that are dedicated solely to helping gambling addicts overcome their mania. In this guide about problem gambling protection (USA), we shed light on everything from gambling addiction sites and blogs to local gambling hotlines.
Top 6 Websites and Blogs for Gambling Addiction
1. The Fix
Based in Los Angeles, California, The Fix is one of the leading websites that deal with gambling addiction and recovery. You can find a ton of relevant content on The Fix, from lots of blogs and essays on sober living and exclusive interviews to daily breaking news and investigative reports.
The Fix has a solid following on various social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter. The site also delivers practical advice from expert counsel on how to steer clear of problematic gambling.
Based in Delray Beach, Florida, Addiction Blog is the way to go if you’re not quite sure about the necessary treatment option for your gambling problem. The site does an amazing job of keeping visitors up to date on the latest discoveries in the field of addiction treatment. In addition, it helps connect gambling addicts with appropriate treatment options.
To add, Addiction Blog gives visitors the ability to call their dedicated helpline, which happens to be quite convenient and as confidential as it gets.
Based in Santa Clarita, California, Valley Recovery Center flaunts an extensive archive of useful content about problematic gambling. The center also offers specialized treatment for people that struggle with different types of addiction, including gambling.
What we like the most about Valley Recovery Center is that it’s a family-owned entity. Moreover, they’re known for their lovely community. As soon as you visit their website, a prompt will pop up on your screen inviting you to sign up for their newsletter, which we highly recommend.
Based in New York, Know the Odds is another well-established blog about problem gambling. It does an incredible job of increasing public awareness about gambling addiction and connecting visitors who seek help with services that can help them.
If you seek help, all you need to do is go to their “Find Help” section, select your region, and the website will redirect you from there. Also, their blog is also filled with insightful and inspirational content that you’ll definitely enjoy reading.
If you’re already seeking help and you’re simply looking for an active community to engage with, the Problem Gambling blog on Reddit is a good place to start.
The blog is pretty active at around 17 posts a day, so you don’t have to wait months just to hear from others who are fighting the same fight as you are. As soon as you visit the blog, you’ll start seeing other gambling addicts sharing their progress, giving others much-needed doses of daily inspiration.
Algamus Gambling is yet another excellent blog that revolves around problematic gambling. It’s based in Prescott, Arizona, and it’s a pretty active blog compared to others.
Algamus Gambling offers insights about things such as gambling triggers and how they can be avoided, how to deal with loved ones who have a gambling problem, the effects of gambling on the world series, and many, many more.
National and Local Gambling Hotlines
Steered by the National Council on Problem Gambling, the National Problem Gambling Helpline can be reached at 1-800-522-4700 via call or text. The line is available 24/7 and is confidential.
As with local gambling hotlines, below is a state-by-state list of all available gambling hotlines in alphabetical order:
- Alabama: 334-277-5100 (Alabama Council On National Compulsive Gambling)
- Arkansas: 1-800-GAMBLER (Arkansas Department of Public Health)
- Arizona: 800-777-7207 (Arizona Council on Compulsive Gambling)
- California: 1-800-426-2537 (California Council on Problem Gambling)
- Colorado: 1-800-522-4700 (Problem Gambling Coalition of Colorado)
- Connecticut: 959-230-4034 (Connecticut Council on Problem Gambling)
- Delaware: 888-850-8888 (Delaware Council on Gambling Problems)
- Florida: 888-236-4848 (Florida Council on Compulsive Gambling)
- Georgia: 1-866-922-7369 (Georgia Council on Problem Gambling)
- Illinois: 800-522-4700 (Illinois Council on Problem Gambling)
- Indiana: 800-994-8448 (Indiana Council on Problem Gambling)
- Kansas: 800-522-4700 (Kansas Coalition on Problem Gambling)
- Kentucky: 800-426-2537 (Kentucky Council on Problem Gambling)
- Louisiana: 318-227-0883 (Louisiana Association on Compulsive Gambling)
- Maine: 207-520-0293 (Maine Council on Problem Gambling)
- Maryland: 1-800-522-4700 (Maryland Council on Problem Gambling)
- Massachusetts: 617-426-4554 (Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling)
- Michigan: 1-800-270-7117 (Michigan Association on Problem Gambling)
- Minnesota: 800-333-4673 (Northstar Problem Gambling Alliance)
- Mississippi: 601-853-8351 (Mississippi Council on Problem & Compulsive Gambling)
- Montana: 888-900-9979 (Montana Council on Problem Gambling)
- Nebraska: 833-238-6837 (Nebraska Council on Compulsive Gambling)
- New Jersey: 1-800-246-2537 (Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey)
- New York: 877-846-7369 (New York Council on Problem Gambling)
- North Carolina: 1-800-522-4700 (North Carolina Council on Problem Gambling)
- Ohio: 1-800-589-9966 (The Problem Gambling Network of Ohio)
- Oklahoma: 1-800-522-4700 (Oklahoma Association on Problem & Compulsive Gambling)
- Oregon: 1-877-695-4648 (Oregon Council on Problem Gambling)
- Nevada: 800-522-4700 (Nevada Council on Problem Gambling)
- New Mexico: 800-572-1142 (New Mexico Council on Problem Gambling)
- Pennsylvania: 800-848-1880 (Council on Compulsive Gambling of Pennsylvania)
- Rhode Island: 877-942-6253 (Rhode Island Council on Problem Gambling)
- Virginia: 1-800-522-4700 (Virginia Council on Problem Gambling)
- Washington: 800-547-6133 (Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling)
- Wisconsin: 800-426-2535 (Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling)
- Wyoming: 1-800-522-4700 (Wyoming Council on Problem Gambling)
There you have it, the most prominent websites and services for dealing with problem gambling. Other sites worth an honorable mention include National Council on Problem Gambling, Lanie’s Hope, Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling, and Andy Margett – YouTube.